How To Properly Brush and Floss
tips to use at home
Whether you’re trying to teach your child how to take care of their teeth or you simply haven’t thought about it for a long time, it’s always good to touch base with the fundamentals of brushing and flossing to make sure you’re getting the most out of your home oral hygiene routine.
The Basics of Brushing:
- Brush at least twice a day – once in the morning and once at night.
- Brush for 2 minutes each time. Set a timer if you use a manual toothbrush.
- Make sure to brush every surface of every tooth. Don’t forget your back teeth!
- Move the brush in a slightly circular motion to get the most cleaning power.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste.
Of course, you should floss at least once a day as well. Otherwise, you’re leaving as much as 40% of your teeth’s surfaces uncleaned!
The Basics of Flossing:
- Use 12-18 inches of floss every time.
- Wrap the ends around the index finger on each hand.
- Gently slide the floss between each tooth -- don’t force it!
- Rub the floss on the sides of each tooth a few times each.
- Use a light touch so you don’t damage your gums.
Most adults actually don’t do all of this correctly, so it’s always good to have a refresher. Want to know more about how you can keep your teeth healthy at home? Contact us today for more tips and helpful information.